Minutes Wednesday GA 8-8-12

August 8, 2012 in General Assembly, Uncategorized by Courtsnack

Facilitator: Leanne

Stack: Fini

Minutes: Courtney G

Working Group updates:

Occupy at LSU: We have the required amount of signatures needed and much of the paperwork done that is needed to start this organization. We need a constitution written and approved ASAP. We also need to contact Campus Life at LSU and find out when the Club Training begins.

OBR Strategy: Everyone needs to write up a mock proposal of where they want OBR to go from here and how. We will meet up again and go over all of these to form a cohesive and collaborative Strategy for our future.

Occupy BR: Community Outreach: We will be holding a meeting this Wednesday at 6pm (a location still needs to be decided at Saturday’s GA) on OBR’s outreach attempts. We need to decide where we need to outreach the most and how to go about doing this.

Proposal’s:

  • We discussed that now is the time to reach out to our legislator’s now that they are no longer in session. It was proposed that rather than meeting privately with our legislator’s, we (OBR) as a group should hold a public meeting with them to discuss some topics which will be determined at a later time. Due to the absence of some of our key members, we decided to take a straw vote in which all voted in approval. This proposal will be tabled until Saturday’s GA in which we will make a final decision.
  • We discussed the pro’s and con’s of changing our Wednesday GA into a time alloted towards Working Group Meetings. This was voted on and everyone in attendance voted in approval.

 

Note: We have changed our General Assemblies from a bi-weekly meeting into a once a week meeting. Wednesday will no longer be a General Assembly, but instead shall be a time for Working Groups to meet. These meetings will take place at 6pm but the locations will change. Our once a week General Assembly will still occur every Saturday at noon in front of the State Capitol. In case of inclement weather, our GA will be moved inside the State Capitol into the House Chambers.

 

 

New Issue of The People’s Censored

June 28, 2012 in The People's [Censored], Uncategorized by CourtneyHorne

We have a new issue of The People’s Censored out just in time for the National Gathering and the 4th of July. Enjoy.

National Gathering

June 28, 2012 in Uncategorized by CourtneyHorne

Our national gathering attendees will be reporting live on https://twitter.com/#!/occupy_brlive/

Worth following!

by Chemel

Minutes Saturday GA 4-4-12

April 14, 2012 in General Assembly, Uncategorized by Chemel

  • Discussion on future GAs

Bi-weekly meetings need to have a stronger focus.

All future GAs need to have an agenda of items to discuss. This agenda should explain what will be discussed and what will be the end result of the meeting. It will inform people why it is important to attend the meeting and what they can expect to take away from the GA.

All GAs will need to have an invite sent out, as a Facebook event and an email to the mailing list at OccupyBatonRouge@gmail.com.

 

In a 9-0 vote, the GA decided that all future GAs need to have an agenda set up before the GA is to occur. This will create more productive meetings and will help target desired audiences.

 

  • Discussion on revising the Points of Unity

To Focus OBR’s goals and plans it was brought up that our PoU need to be revised and refocused. The focus is to be localized to Baton Rouge and Louisiana, and less on a national scale. This is to make OBR’s goals and events more centralized and more focused on events and actions we can influence.
At this GA no decisions were made on what is to be edited or which PoU will be changed. This is to be an on going discussion, but the GA would like to come to a decision at the end of the month of April.  This issue is in relation to the next item.

 

  • Printing of new fliers.

The recent events and rallies at the Capitol have depleted our flier inventory. Before more are printed out the GA would like to have the more focused PoU and contact information on these fliers. Specific items that want to be changed; format, changing the contact information to be seen first, and PoU last. Points of Unity organized so related items appear next to each other, to minimize confusion and create an easier flow of understanding.

 

  • Finances

The current financial report is up to date. No recent deposits or withdraws have been made. Once the new flier format has been created, new fliers will be printed and purchased.

 

  • Newsletter

Tomorrow, Sunday the 15th, a newsletter editors meeting will take place at Brian and Sophie’s place in the afternoon. The new format was presented at the GA. Brief discussions were had about the content and recent updates for this issues newsletter.

 

  • Recall update

The recall items were discussed. Current status updates were discussed. OBR would like to be more active with this action. Communications are to be made to some of the organizers of the recall to find out how OBR can be more involved.

 

  • Transit vote/CATS

There is still time to help with Transit vote. April 21 is the voting day, items that still occur: Canvassing, phone banking, outreach. Contact TogetherbatonRouge for more information. http://www.togetherbr.org/

  • Legislative Focus

A group of key bills is being formatted and will be distributed to the OBR stakeholders soon. Any key bills that are desired to have OBR focus on should be brought to the attention of the GA and/or the OBR Facebook group/page. The publication ‘The Laser’s Beam’ was discussed in terms of how the bills of interest will be discussed.

  • Salutations Taxbusters

OBR takes pride in the amount of transparency we provide in regards to our meetings and action items. We are pleased that ‘the opposition’ is worried enough to pay attention to our efforts and energies.

  • Hello Woody Jenkins

We hope the republicans aren’t too scared that citizens are paying attention to what you guys are doing and sharing it all with our communication base. Learn to Twitter, learn to Facebook, see what we are saying :D (Don’t worry, we aren’t a left wing group, the democrats in this state have to answer for their voting history as well)

  • Greetings The [Censored] editor Carl Redman

Even though OBR has a much, MUCH higher opinion of your readers’ intelligence than you do, OBR’s newsletter is making it painfully clear that we are not affiliated with you, your publication, or the Manship family.

 

by Chemel

Minutes 2-22-12

February 22, 2012 in Uncategorized by Chemel

Facilitator-All present

Notes-Chris

Stack- None

 

No introductions

No news updates

OBR did not make an appearance at the Spanishtown MG parade. Only two OBR members showed up, not enough to have desired affect.  The heavy rain preventing others from showing up, parade itself was lightly attended by non-parade members.

Newsletter Updates- OBR GA voted to have B. Perkins respond to the Online Media Legal Network, a lawyer group focused on movements like ours, willing to help pro-bono. Asked for OBR to respond to them tomorrow or Friday. If Bryan can’t respond Craig or Chris will, only B. Perkins was voted on. Continue to send articles for TPA to publish.

Art show updated-still occurring, many artists and musicians in attendance, date set around May 1st.

Occupy CATS-  Leanne brought several fliers to post to community boards at restaurants, classrooms, work places. OBR to continue to occupy the CATS system to help spread information about the April 21at vote to keep public transportation in BR. Next OBR CATS day is March 1st 8AM @ the Bus Terminal on Florida.

Large statewide rally to occur in BR when the state legislatures are to return to work. OBR would like to be there to speak with house/senate reps. More details being worked out

 

 

 

 

 

by Chemel

GA Minutes Saturday Feb. 11th Noon Capitol Building

February 11, 2012 in Uncategorized by Chemel

Shaun H. -Moderator

Courtney G. -Stack

Chris C.- Minutes

No introduction.

No coverage of Occupy news. 

Overview of old news/current events:

Spanish Town Parage

EBRPS-Superintendent

Replied to Didier (OBR email request for Occupy history)

Replied to Rachel @ The Drum/Southern (Questions on OBR diversity)

Occupy Bus Updates

New Items/Events:

Frank working with Headstart program. Explains contacts and information with local education.

The newsletter and recent history was discussed. Previous decisions were shared with the present members.

David K proposed that OBR adopts a promotion of a proposed constitutional amendment as a central goal.

+David provided handouts outlining ideals of the proposal.

+ Extended discussion about proposal

+Voted on the following proposal:

 A central goal of OBR is to take action to amend the constitution to exclude money from being considered free speech. 

+Vote passed 10-0 in favor of the proposal. The present and voting members of OBR stated that final amendment proposals and long term actions are still to be discussed and voted upon.

++ The amendment will also be expressed in common terms for a wider understanding

++BR focused community projects will still be a focus of OBR for continual social improvements.

Spanish Town Mardi Gras parade discussed. 4 of the present members were confirmed attendees.

Event information to be distributed to all contacts. Follow up on Wed GA on attendance and actions.

GA Concluded.