by Bryan

Minutes for the General Assembly on Wednesday, 1-11-12

January 11, 2012 in General Assembly by Bryan

On January 11, 2012 Occupy Baton Rouge held our twenty-second General Assembly. The minutes follow:

Designated Secretary for General Assembly of January 11, 2012: Phillip Waltz

Announcements

Sophia went to a Together Baton Rouge meeting. A CATs proposal was put through to fix the bus system. Would be done through a property tax. Voting is April 21st. Sophia feels we should advocate for this. In Baton Rouge, we spend about 27 dollars per capita on the bus system as a city. In New Orleans the city spends 200-something per capita on the bus system.

Courtney George went to Jindal’s inauguration. They got a bunch of nasty looks. Some pleasant responses and publicity though. Woot!

Debate with the Tea Party by Fini. Tea Party was against pretty much any regulation. Fini asked Mike Thibodaux how they keep people motivated and Mike said they send out a weekly email to keep members motivated.

MLK day working group meeting today after GA.

Sophia deals with trafficking hope. The punishment for trafficking is UP TO five years in prison. LSU student group “tigers against trafficking exists” to inform people about this issue and fix it. Fundraising gala at shaw center (???).

Working groups

Newsletter
Currently have two articles. Occupy NOLA is starting a magazine called occupy. They are willing to trade articles. If you don’t want to have your article in Occupy NOLA’s magazine, tell Bryan, otherwise he’s just gonna send it to Occupy NOLA’s magazine. Word count less than 800 preferably.

MLK day working group
Sophia needs to call the NAACP about the “People’s Mic.” Dave needs to finish the banners stuff. We have the memorial that needs to be painted by Loko still. We still need the words that will be put on memorial plaque, Loko is working on it. Maybe tie the memorial sign into the CATs crisis. Call to action will be announced at the end of the day, maybe we should emphasize the bus system.

Occupy Artshow
Still need to set up the facebook group. The Violet House might still have artshows. People can start making art. Music could also be there. Maybe bother LSU art students and notify artists of the city. We could put a call out to the artists of the city. Kiera is the coordinator.

Spanish town parade
Feburuary 18th at noon is when the parade is. We gotta pay 25 bucks. Someone has to be a member of the SPLL prior.

Occupy Comic-con
Was added to the calendar. It’s in New Orleans.

Occupy Radioshow
Chris Chemel said they are reviewing the application for a radioshow.

Tea party is planning on crashing amendment 21 part.

Finance committee
We need to type up the minutes of this meeting including the statement that we have approved the creation of a credit union account. Included must be those who will have access to the account. One person needs to obtain tax ID to bring with us as well. Then, we need to fix a time to meet at the credit union to set up the account.

A proposal was made by the working group to give Sophia Kunen, David Kirshner, David McLaughlin, Shaun Hughes, and Bryan Perkins full signing authority for a credit union account in the name of Occupy Baton Rouge. That proposal was passed unanimously. For any withdrawal of $50 or less one signature is needed; for amounts over $50 two signatures will be needed.

Now we need to print and sign the minutes and bring them to the credit union with our tax ID to get this done.

General announcements

Proposals
Courtney proposed that each working group has a coordinator. The working groups will be individually elected coordinators. Coordinators are responsible for the minutes. Coordinators will delegate tasks and keep tract of whats going on. For each working group the members of the working group can at anytime vote to remove the coordinator of the working group. Whether consensus or majority is needed was not included in the proposal. Thus, the working group coordinator is a completely recallable elected official.

David McLaughlin is not on the finance committee email correspondence. He’s not getting finance committee getting emails.

Sophie is making and spreading sheet of contacts and email lists. We should have a list of contacts and preferred contact method. (dave mclaughlins preferred contact method is email)

T-shirt making on Saturday after the GA.

New person is John. He is interested possibly doing pottery for the Occupy Artshow. He plays guitar and bass, so could be involved in some sort of musical ensemble.

by Bryan

Minutes for the General Assembly on Saturday, 1-7-12

January 7, 2012 in General Assembly by Bryan

On January 7, 2012 Occupy Baton Rouge held our twenty-first General Assembly. The minutes follow:

Review of the previous minutes.
Reference previous minutes

Working group updates.

MLK day
Again, MLK day march starting at Mt. Zion. There is the possibilities of us giving a speech, possibly
having a MLK’s Vietnam speech. MLK day banners are done or almost done. We have more shirts. Sofi
is recontacting them about doing people’s mike for MLK’s Vietnam speech. Someone also needs to
contact them about doing a wooden stand memorial honor the fact that one of the first bus boycotts
started in Baton Rouge. We also need to contact them about using the people’s mic for MLK day
speech.

Finance working group
It’s really easy to get a tax id. You just have to specify “community volunteer organization.” It’s really
good for us, and is just to get a bank account and tax i.d. There still has to be one “responsible” person.

Takes two people to sign for any amount over 50 bucks. David Kirchner is still trying to get in contact
with David Brown our lawyer. When money comes into account taxes need to be paid on it. We need
to figure out if there is also legal accountability for occupy accrued for being related to occupy. Dave
Kirchner needs to know if he’ll be legal for prosecution if he puts his name down and occupy gets in
trouble. According to Dave Brown there is no legal responsibility for being the “responsible person” for
the bank account and tax i.d. There is also no liability for sign off on the minutes to prove that we have
meetings. David Brown doesn’t think litigators would go after officers/secretaries. The idea was raised
that everybody could sign the minutes.

Newsletters working group
We need articles for next Saturday’s GA. Need about 5 to 6 articles. We currently have 2 or 3. There
was a brain storming session about what to write about. Ideas that were voiced were the Keystone
XL pipeline, fracking, why a leaderless consensus based movement?, a constitutional amendment
removing corporate personhood, and political cartoons.

Proposals
MLK working group makes memorial for bus boycott. Also, work on t-shirts and I have a dream wall
today. Proposal accepted.

Nathan proposed we do something about funding of prison instead of CATs system after further
research. Proposal accepted.

Kiera will coordinate Occupy Artshow/ Occupy the Arts. Kyle Bryan, Sofi, Courtney (Horne), Courtney
(George), and Shaun were interested. Proposal accepted.

Labor council outreach. David McLaughlin will contact Mike Day, Ernest, and the AFL-CIO secretary and
ask if they have any events (demonstrations, picket lines, marches, etc.) that we could help them with.
Proposal accepted.

Attend Jindal inauguration. Jan 9th, starts at 11:20am. Jindal is inaugurated at noon. Proposal tabled
due to lack of people that could attend.

Reminders and annoucnements
-We need to plan for the anniversary of the BP oil spill.
-Occupy Artshow
-CATS system (voting on tax to support it)
-Bruce and Jackie are doing advocacy for disabled people
-City ordinance to limit fast food chains

by Bryan

Minutes for the General Assembly on Wednesday, 1-4-12

January 4, 2012 in General Assembly by Bryan

On January 4, 2012 Occupy Baton Rouge held our twentieth General Assembly.

Announcements
In D.C. on January 17th, 2011 a lot of people from different occupations are showing up at Washington
D.C. for a national Occupy Congress. According to Jaypeth, Occupy New Orleans had quite their share
of problems. Jaypeth Dupei thinks we’re more organized than Occupy NOLA. Nathan has a friend who
is bringing us a large quantity of Occupy Wallstreet Journals.

Previous minutes
We discussed what we’re doing for Occupy MLK day. Outreach today after GA. No new news on the
radio show. We’re still trying to get a show on 96.9 community radio. Mike Day (or is it DeDay?) is
asking for more people to interview now. It would be nice if he had new people for the interviews, so if
you’d like to be interviewed and haven’t been so far, please join up.

Working group updates
MLK day working group.
The best price Bryan found for MLK day t-shirts was 55 shirts for 200 dollars. He found that online.
Dave McLaughlin will print flyers (around 200). Ask for Bryan’s flyer when you email him. NAACP is
organizing the MLK day parade. Sofi is calling the organizer of the parade. Someone else can hound him
about getting in the parade if you want. We need more gray shirts. Vicky is gonna see if it’s possible to
take the embroidery out of the grey apple shirts she has. We can still purchase more grey shirts from
thrift stores. We need to do something with a banner. We’re probably just making a banner out of a
bedsheet and wood poles. Also, we have 5 stencils now for t-shirts. MLK working group needs to meet
after the meeting with Courtney to figure out getting shirt supplies.

Occupy LSU working group
There is officer training on January 22nd in order to get an organization started. Jaypeth needs to add
Jan 22nd to the calendar on the website.

Media working group
Jaypeth needs more people to live-stream. Also, currently there are two people running the website
now and Jaypeth needs more people. Jaypeth needs a wordpress help document specific to our site.
Also, he reiterated that Mike Day needs more people to interview.

Newsletter working group
The newsletter will be called The People’s Advocate. There is a facebook group for the people’s
advocate. Email: occupyBRnewsletter@gmail.com. Ben, Dave, and Loko are interested in writing for
it. Let Bryan know.

New proposals
Proposal to rent a team speak server. It is a VOIP program you can put on your computer. You can get a
free server with up to 520 slots. Jaypeth is looking into doing something like this for free.

Shaun is proposing people get on Occupy BR’s google voice. We need a constant phone line where
people can call us. We have a phone setup. The idea is that people can us through this phone about
anything.

Minutes for the General Assembly on Saturday, 12-31-11

December 31, 2011 in General Assembly by occupybatonrouge

New Years Eve General Assembly

 

On December 31, 2011 Occupy Baton Rouge held our nineteenth General Assembly.

Facilitated by: Fini

Stack: Sean

Notes: Courtney

MLK: Still uncertain about what to do for this event because the past MLK Day organizer is recovering from a surgery.

Radio Group: Dave gave suggestions, looks like we need equipment b/c Radio may not have enough for live show. (We need equipment?)

* It can be done anywhere

* Vicki might know someone to borrow equipment from

* Application is for 8 30-minute shows

* Haven’t yet said when we can start

* Still need an interview? And a training?

o We need people or a person (depending on how many they need) to do this

o Need 6 months of training to learn how to do this

Current Events: Occupy Houston won’t be evicted anytime soon, one of last major occupations

Finance: Spoke with David Brown, advised to start after 1st of year. Also suggested we go to Department of State off of Essen and bring a copy of our latest minutes and the names of OBR officers

* We need a Bank Account for Paypal

Proposal: 300$ will be spent on tshirts and flyers to be given out at MLK Day. (Flyers for everyone but any extra tshirts will be given to only more receptive and interested people). Number of each will be determined later depending on costs

It was also suggested that we maybe post on website for tshirt and/or paint donations. Also, check up on Bruce and Donna because it was said that they had expressed they may donate for tshirts

Spanish Town will be contacted for possible Spanish Town Parade participation and possibly our Art Show. It was suggested that we could possibly put up art at the Downtown City Market when they have art shows

Also, need to contact Bricks and Bombs about possible art show

Following the end of the GA, most of us got to work on making tshirts. We found that it was a much more difficult task than expected. Sean, Fini, and Courtney left to visit Mt. Zion Church but found it was empty.

Solidarity,

Japheth Dupuis

by Bryan

Recap of the General Assembly on Wednesday, 12-28-11

December 28, 2011 in General Assembly by Bryan

On December 28, 2011 Occupy Baton Rouge held our eighteenth General Assembly.

We started with news updates.

The NDAA is in line to be signed by the president. It looks like he has no objections, even with the indefinite detention of US citizens sections still in the bill.

A short-term agreement was made on the payroll tax cut extension which gives the president 60 days to make a decision on the Keystone XL pipeline.

Next we moved to Working Group updates.

The MLK Day Working Group is still searching for the organizers of the MLK Day march in Baton Rouge. We are planning on contacting Betty Claiborne, as she organized last year’s event. The group also wants to make shirts to wear to the event and to hand out to interested parties. For the shirts we will need more paint, stencils, and blank shirts.

The Radio Show Working Group has submitted the application to Baton Rouge Community Radio and we are simply waiting on a reply.

Finally, we moved to announcements.

Occupy Baton Rouge’s points of unity were given to the president of the Louisiana AFL-CIO, Richard Lloyd, and he said he agrees with all of them. Also, we have been in contact with the Louisiana AFL-CIO’s Vice President and he has invited us to attend the monthly union meetings.

by Bryan

Minutes for the General Assembly on Wednesday, 12-21-11

December 21, 2011 in General Assembly by Bryan

On December 21, 2011 Occupy Baton Rouge held our seventeenth General Assembly.

The General Assembly was facilitated by Courtney G., with Jason S. taking stack and David M. taking minutes.

Announcments

Student outreach working group
Officer training is needed for the LSU student group. In order to become an official LSU student group officers are needed, and these officers have to attend a training session. There is a facebook page for Occupy LSU, Conor is working on this.

Radio working group
Meeting Thursday. Interview at 6:00pm at Chelseas.

Finance committee
We still need a tax I.D. Dave Kirshner needs a tax I.D. in order to have a bank account in the name of OccupyBR. That way we can have a way for people to donate to OccupyBR on the website. A tax I.D. has to be gotten under the auspices of a company or corporation. The form lists several possibilities, one of the options is a limited liability corporation, and over this we are consulting with a lawyer. David Brown is a lawyer who has been to the GA meetings. There has to be one person who is liable. We should look into what Occupy Wallstreet done.

Newsletter working group
Possibly have other occupations from around the country contribute.

Working group for encampment
They are getting a list of houses in north Baton Rouge that are being foreclosed on. They are gonna try and get outside support, set a date, and occupy some homes.

MLK day
MLK day is gonna be based around the march. The march is starting at Mount Zion and probably ending at the First United Methodist church. We could possibly use the People’s Mic for MLK speeches. Another idea was having a large piece of paper with people’s dreams on it (playing off MLK’s “I have a dream” speech). We are also having a community service day. Other ideas that were brought up were an occupy puppet show, facepainting, or henna for kids.

Discussion

Tuesday people talked about meeting to work on the theme song for the radio show. David Kirchner and Courtney are interested. Keyboards, guitar, and piano are available.

T-shirts. We need to make t-shirts prior to MLK day. Vicki has the stencils and all the paints put messages on the shirts. We could eventually sell the t-shirts. Dave McL, Courtney, Timothy, Collin, and Jason are interested in painting shirts. Dave McL is gonna think about designs. A meeting time needs to be made. People could possible make their own t-shirts. Mylar stencils are more durable than cardboard. Info about this will be mailed out to the list-serve.

The state legislature convenes Monday Jan. 9th. You’re supposed to be able to go to the state legislature when they’re in session. OccupyBR could possibly go and ask questions, pester representatives, or just sit in on the sessions.

by Bryan

Minutes for the General Assembly on Saturday, 12-17-11

December 17, 2011 in General Assembly by Bryan

On December 17, 2011 Occupy Baton Rouge held our sixteenth General Assembly.

The minutes were taken by David M.

News

NDAA bill will soon be signed by Obama. This allows the indefinite detention of U.S. citizens. Half a trillion got approved for the military. Last week a bunch of people called the Whitehouse in opposition to the Keystone Pipeline. 350.org has info about the Keystone pipeline. It hasn’t been passed yet though. It’s the 1 year anniversary of the beginning of the Arab spring. G8 this May in Chicago. April 1st is first meeting of Occupy Washington D.C. in freedom plaza. Bradley Manning’s trial started this week. Iraq war “officially” ended this past week. President of Greater Baton Rouge AFL-CIO was asking Jindal to support the extension of payroll benefits.

Announcements

-Nathan is going to contact the AFL-CIO president of Greater Baton Rouge.

-We are going to continue with the Occupy logistics meeting group. They are meeting Monday at 7pm at Garden District Coffee on Perkins.

-We started the Shock Doctrine study group. Next meeting ins jan 9 at 7pm. Get in contact with Bryan if you want more info.

-Thursday we had a radio group meeting. They discussed ideas and sent off a proposal to local radio stations. It’s called “The People’s Mic”. The plan is to have a 5 to 10 minute recording and send it in. There is info on the facebook working group about how to get in involved in the radio show. We plan on getting guest speakers and politicians and other things related to Baton Rouge. This is a good way to be involved in the community.

-For the finance committee, some want to revive it. We need to get an IRS number and a bank account. The bank needs meeting minutes. Sean volunteered to be 4th member of the finance committee, proposal accepted. Finance crew will discuss when to meet later.

-Proposal for an electronic and paper newsletter with a mailing list to send it out. Bryan, Bruce, Chris and Jason are interested in working on this. Probably setup another facebook working group. Anyone can drop off information for this newsletters. Probably will be done through google groups.

-Occupy_BRlive is a twitter feed that livetweets the General Assemblies

-Courtney brought up doing something mardi gras related. The crew of mutts is a cheap way to get involved.

-We also talked about doing something for Martin Luther King day. Jason works in the governor’s office so he can bring in information about volunteer. There is a Spanish town parade that is somewhat political. SPanishtownparade.com

-Myriah volunteered to investigate the Spanish town parades. Between florida and north street on foster dr there is a meeting place we can go to.

-Courtney thinks we should start a working group for the Martin Luther King day (committee). David, Courtney, Jay, mryi,ah lee ann, sophi, Collin, ramalus, Jason, Courtney, sean, josh, fini, Bryan, chris, and Nathan are interested in this. There is an MLK day parade. Also there is MLK volunteer stuff. Sean thinks we should have up to 1000 flyers for MLK day. Dave and Sean can get flyers and print stuff. Chris thinks we should have a 16th point of unity, but the idea was tabled for later.

-Copies of the points of unity of Occupy BR. Dave and Sean can print-off flyers.

-Japheth and Fini are gonna work on the wording for the 16th point of unity. This one has to do with erosion of freedoms/ bill of rights.

-Courtney is making a FB page for MLK day.

-Courtney has a really long paper rollup canvas for large signs.

-Newcomer suggests street art and art installations to get people to notice Occupy BR. We could to a sculpture. Drawing on street walks. Chalking. Hip-hop movements. Radical arts. Courtney suggests crochet or knit stuff to go over trees or light poles. Collin suggests maybe going to free speech alley. Or going to the mall.

-Link subgroups on facebook (working groups) to main group on facebook

-Sophia suggested an Occupy Artshow. Maybe use it as a fundraiser. Bruce thinks maybe have guerilla theatre, skit and performing arts, musical performances. Proposal for Occupy Artshow was accepted. Myri, Sophi, Courtney kira, Bruce, Minjie, Jayfth, and Sean. Sophia doing FB page for it.

-Title for radio show is “People’s Mic”

MLK day committee
Tuesday at 7:00pm at Bruces house. 474 North foster Dr. 70806 bruce’s address. Indepent living incorporate. On north foster between florida and north st. Right after the tire place. MLK day stuff first.

by Bryan

Recap of the General Assembly on Wednesday, 12-14-11

December 14, 2011 in General Assembly by Bryan

On December 14, 2011 Occupy Baton Rouge held our fifteenth General Assembly.

The General Assembly was facilitated by Japheth, with Fini taking stack and Bryan taking minutes.

We began with news about the Occupy movement. Occupy NOLA is facing eviction again. On December 16 at 4:00 pm they will be picketing at the front entrance to city hall in New Orleans.

December 12 was shut down the ports day and Occupy movements from Austin, Oakland, Seattle, and other cities up and down the west coast blocked access to ports. More info on Seattle’s action can be found at The Stranger.

Evictions of Occupations around the country continue as Boston was evicted again last Thursday or Friday and Denver is facing a new threat of eviction.

In Washington D.C. there is a plan forming to Occupy Congress on January 17, 2012. They are putting out a call to Occupations around the country to send people with tents ready to occupy Freedom Plaza for the return of legislators.

In more positive news, TIME magazine named “The Protester” person of the year, and Occupy Baton Rouge was featured in an article in Dig Magazine this week.

After Occupy News, we moved to announcements.

The first Radio Show Working Group meeting was announced to be on Thursday, December 15 at 7:00 pm. This meeting was held to start filling out the application for, and start planning the format of, an Occupy Baton Rouge radio show on Baton Rouge Community Radio, WHYR 96.9.

The next Shock Doctrine study group meeting will be held on January 9th at 7:00 pm. If you missed the first study group meeting, don’t be afraid to attend this one. For the location and directions contact OccupyBatonRouge@gmail.com.

After announcements, we moved to proposals.

A proposal was made, and passed, to change the name of the calendar on the website to “Upcoming Events”. A related proposal was made to create an email address where people can submit community events, not necessarily dealing directly with Occupy Baton Rouge, to be included on the calendar. That proposal was passed. The email address is OccupyBRCalendar@gmail.com. If you know of any community events that would be of interest to participants in Occupy Baton Rouge don’t hesitate to send an email to that address so we can get them on the calendar.

A proposal was made and passed to change the name of the Encampment Logistics Working Group to the Occupation Logistics Working Group. The next meeting of the Occupation Logistics Working Group will be held on Monday, December 19, at 7:00 pm at Garden District Coffee. This meeting will be to discuss alternative forms of occupations, including, but not limited to, occupying homes that are being foreclosed on, disrupting foreclosure auctions, and a standing occupation. As such, if you or someone you know is having your house foreclosed on, please contact OccupyBatonRouge@gmail.com so we can see if there is any way we can help.

Finally, it was proposed that we start planning our next action. The group agreed that Martin Luther King Day would be a good date that is far enough in advance for us to properly plan for. This action is still in the brainstorming process so all ideas are welcome. Some ideas that have been aired are reading King’s speech on the Vietnam War, reading his I Have a Dream speech, marching in an MLK Day parade, taking part in an MLK day of service, or combining our efforts with the AFL-CIO who have an event for MLK Day every year. Please continue thinking about this day of action and bring your ideas to the General Assembly on Saturday, December 17th.

by Bryan

Recap of the General Assembly on Wednesday, 12-7-11

December 7, 2011 in General Assembly by Bryan

On December 7, 2011 Occupy Baton Rouge held our fourteenth General Assembly.

The General Assembly was facilitated by Chris, with Vicki taking stack. A copy of the full minutes, taken by Masa, can be found here.

We began with news about the Occupy movement around the world. Occupy San Francisco was evicted on Wednesday with 70 people being arrested. Also on Wednesday, Occupy Portland reoccupied after an eviction. On December 12th, Occupy movements from around the west coast plan on shutting down all ports. New York may be trying a similar demonstration on the same day.

After two months of continuous encampment, New Orleans was evicted with one arrest. Shortly thereafter they were granted a temporary injunction for one week on the conditions that they provide their own port-a-potties and put down a $5,000 bond to cover possible damages.

Participants in Occupy Dallas have announced that they are creating the COAPT to monitor police actions, doing the duty of internal affairs. And several Occupations around the country, including Occupy New Orleans, have started disrupting foreclosure auctions and occupying foreclosed homes to help protect families’ houses.

Finally, the United Nations envoy for freedom of expression is drafting an official communication to the U.S. government demanding to know why federal officials are not protecting the rights of Occupy demonstrators whose protests are being disbanded — sometimes violently — by local authorities.

After Occupy News, we moved to announcements concerning Occupy Baton Rouge.

On this Saturday, December 10th, we are holding our Alternative Day of Action in celebration of Human Rights Day. We will start at noon in State Capitol Park under the statue of Huey P. Long. There is a sister event, Occupy the Coast Guard, happening in Mobile, Alabama from nine to noon. Both events will bring to light the health issues and human rights violations going down in the Gulf at present, among other human rights issues around the state and around the world. Organizers and supporting organizations for the events include Occupy Baton Rouge, Occupy Fairhope, Occupy Mobile, Operation People for Peace, Gulf Change, and the Alabama Oil Spill Aftermath Coalition, among others. Please share with all of your friends, invite everyone, and attend.

After announcements we proposed and passed a tentative agenda for the Alternative Day of Action. Remember, this is a flexible agenda, it can be changed at any time, including the day of the event. If you want to add something to the agenda, or contribute to an already planned event, feel free to bring it up on the day of the event or email your idea to OccupyBatonRouge@gmail.com. The current draft of the agenda is as follows:

1. Welcome. Reading and approval of the agenda.
2. Reading of the Occupy Baton Rouge Points of Unity.
3. Soap-boxing.
4. Huey P. Long’s “Share the Wealth” speech using the people’s mic.
5. Discussion on the ongoing atrocities caused by the Gulf Oil Spill.
6. Sign making, shirt painting, and snack time. (Bring a blank shirt and some food to share.)
7. Discussion on SOPA and the IP Act.
8. Discussion on the National Defense Authorization Act.
9. Discussion on the crisis that the CATS system is facing.
10. Funeral march for the human rights that are dying around the world.
11. Soap-boxing.
12. Discussion on ENDA and the proposed anti-bullying law.
13. Discussion on the Equal Pay for Women Act and the ERA.
14. Discussion on Human Trafficking.
15. Reading of Obama’s speech about Tahrir Square using the people’s mic.
16. International issues and lagniappe issues.
17. General Assembly.
18. Candlelight reading of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
19. Clean up.

After the agenda was approved, a proposal was made to print leaflets for the event on Saturday. We will be printing 100 leaflets with information pertinent to the discussions in the agenda, and we will print flyers with the Occupy Baton Rouge points of unity and General Assembly schedule.

Next, the proposal was made to make Saturday a pot-luck event. People have volunteered to bring vegan jambalaya, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, hot chocolate, and coffee. If you can bring anything, please do, the more the merrier. We also need some folding tables, so bring one if you have one.

Chris presented the work that he has completed toward procuring a radio show on Baton Rouge Community Radio, WHYR 96.9. That information can be found through this link. A Radio Show Working Group meeting will be scheduled soon, so stay tuned to the website, the Facebook group, and your email account to stay updated.

Finally, a meeting was scheduled for Thursday, December 8th at 7:00 PM at Highland Coffees to continue preparing for Saturday’s event.

After the General Assembly we headed over to Chelsea’s café for the Tacky Sweater Soiree in support of Baton Rouge Community Radio.

by Bryan

Recap of the General Assembly on Wednesday, 11-30-11

November 30, 2011 in General Assembly by Bryan

On Wednesday, November 30, 2011 Occupy Baton Rouge held our twelfth General Assembly.

The General Assembly was facilitated by Joshua Fini, with Japheth Dupuis taking stack and Bryan Perkins taking minutes.

The Student Teach-in Working Group proposed a Shock Doctrine study group. The proposal was accepted and the study group will begin on December 12th at 7:00 pm. If you are interested in taking part in the study group contact OccupyBatonRouge@gmail.com for the location. Also, if you cannot afford to purchase the book for some reason, include that information in your email and we may be able to purchase a copy for you.

The Encampment Logistics Working Group announced that they are planning a meeting with David Brown to go over the procedure for setting up a bail fund. They are also contacting private land owners to determine if there is a space that we can get permission to use for our encampment.

During general proposals, the General Assembly agreed that we should contact our legislators to give them our opinion about SOPA, the Protect IP act, and the National Defense Authorization Act, particularly the provisions that allow for the indefinite detainment of US citizens without charge or trial on American soil. We are collecting contact information and talking points to make this process easier, and we will be posting them on the website and handing the information out at General Assemblies and other events.

The General Assembly agreed to start contacting other organizations around Baton Rouge, particularly Together Baton Rouge, to see if there is any way we can assist them in advocating for the issues that we all agree on. Especially the budget crisis the CATS system is facing.

A proposal was passed to search for families whose homes are being foreclosed on to see if there is any way we can assist them.

The General Assembly agreed to hold viewings of the Zeitgeist documentaries followed by discussion sessions. The dates for these viewings have not been set, but they will start after finals are complete.

And finally, the General Assembly agreed that we should set up Obama’s speech about the Tahrir Square uprising to perform with the people’s mic at our December 10th Alternative Day of Action in celebration of International Human Rights Day.

Cops for the MoviesAfter the General Assembly, we walked down to the Old State Insurance Building where we planned to set up our encampment. We noticed that the entire stretch of fifth street in front of our proposed location was blocked off by movie crew trailers being guarded by several police cars with flashing lights. Not only were they taking up the street, they had filled the parking lot next to the empty grass lot with campers. This is included in the recap of the General Assembly to show the difference between the government’s reaction to citizens enacting their freedom of assembly and its reaction to movie crews with enough money to pay for use of the location. The picture is dark, but we wanted to make sure that we had some documentation of the occurrence.