Minutes Saturday GA 12-29-12

January 2, 2013 in General Assembly by Courtsnack

Minutes: Courtney G

1) Occupy Our Homes: This was brought up and was given a positive temperature check. We need more information regarding this before any actions are taken.

2) MLK Day: We want to be involved. We need more contacts with organizers of the event on January 21st. Courtney will ask Fini and follow up with Lee-Ann on local NAACP. We need to be prepared. We will make another “I have a dream” banner and a large banner to carry at the March.

3) Sinkhole: The sinkhole is getting worse and trees are floating back up.

4) Exxon: Ms. — spoke how Exxon is polluting her community in the Chippewa area. She handed out a sheet explaining the pollutants.

5) Spanish Town Parade: It is too late to apply for our own float. We need to contact one of the members/organizers of the Association and see if we can join somebody else’s float or walk in front of one. Shaun will contact Ward and see about the logistics of this.

- Ms. — will contact the Bucket Brigade and inquire on Spanish Town Participation.

6) Our Working Group meeting will take place this Wednesday (1/2/2013) 7pm, at a Members’ Home. This Meeting will focus on our Radio Show, MLK Day, and our upcoming Movie Night featuring the “New Jim Crow Laws”. If interested, please e-mail us at occupybatonrouge@gmail.com for directions.

Summary:

We need anybody who is participating r incontact with those who are doing so in MLK Day to contact us so we can help out and particpate

We need anybody who is a member of Spanish Town or in contact with a member to find out the process of participating in the Spanish Town Parade for OBR

We need to learn more about “Occupy Our Homes”

We need LSU students who are interested in Occupy at LSU CLub to take the Officer Training through Moodle to contact us so we can get started.

Minutes Saturday GA 9-22-12

September 25, 2012 in General Assembly by Courtsnack

Facilitator: Shaun

Stack:

Minutes: Courtney

We began by discussing the trip to NYC for S17 (Anniversary of Occupy Wall St.). We passed around flyers and other things collected from the trip.

Working Group Updates:

  • Student WG: we still need the signees to do the online training through moodle. If we don’t get them soon, it was discussed that we might redo our application with different signees in order to speed up the app process.
  • Legislative Action WG: David will contact the legislatures again. There was a halt to the action due to Hurricane Isaac.

Individual Concerns:

  • Leanne will write up a welcome sheet for newcomers.
  • OBR Anniversary/Birthday is approaching (October 22nd!). We discussed possibly holding a politicallt themed costume party b/c it’s so close to Halloween. Shaun will contact a venue for possibly holding this event and know more details this Saturday.
  • OBR needs to focus on more civil disobedience and direct action geared towards a smaller number of participants. We now have a great source for this kind of info.
  • We need to approach newcomers differently. While engaging them and allowing them to speak we need to make sure we don’t overwhelm them and allow for them to just observe. We will hand out a welcome sheet and introduce ourselves, let them ome to us a bit more.
  • Robert will contact a Spanish Town Parade coordinator and see about OBR attending for Mardi Gras next year.
  • The idea was brought up for a “Where is Jindal” Action geared towards his many disappearances across the nation. This was well recieved and will be brought up again at the next GA.

If any students are interested in starting an Occupy Group/Club in Baton Rouge (Southern, LSU, BRCC, etc) please contact us and let us know! If you would like to be added to our e-mail list or are interested in the above mentioned, please email us at occupybatonrouge@gmail.com and like our Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/OccupyBR.

Minutes Saturday GA 8-25-12

September 23, 2012 in General Assembly by Courtsnack

Facilitator:

Stack: Shaun

Minutes: Courtney G

Working Group Updates:

Legislative Action WG: Spoke with Staffers for all three legislatures and is waiting on responses for setting up meetings (Vitter, Landrieu, & Cassidy).

We discussed the OWS Teach-in that was scheduled, but due to Hurricane Isaac, it has been rescheduled to a later time this Fall

OBR Focus:

  • We had mentioned last week (8-18-12) that we needed a focus for OBR, and decided to do an official vote the following week as long as we had a quorum (8-25-12).
  • We spent a lot of time discussing this issue and everyone said their piece. It was difficult to come up with a consensus on the issue but after some time we worked it out and officially voted in favor (with 2 abstaining) of this proposal:

The influence of money will be our (OBR) main focus. This is the main focus until otherwise determined. This will not limit our ability to create minor foci or another main focus down the road.

Minutes Saturday GA 8-18-12

August 19, 2012 in General Assembly by Courtsnack

Facilitator: Masa

Stack: David

Minutes: Courtney G

Working Group updates:

Occupy at LSU & Community Outreach: All of the paperwork has been finished and our constitution has been written. We only need 2 more full-time students to finish the Officer Training online through Moodle which is due this Saturday Aug. 25th. We must be registered for the Club Fair by Aug. 29th! The Club Fair is September 5th! At our next meeting (Monday, 8/20/12, Highland Coffee) we will design a display for the Club fair and the flyer for the first Occupy at LSU GA scheduled for September 12th. We will also go through the logistics for the event and get everything prepared for our next meeting in which will create the display and flyers.

Legislative Action: It has been proposed and voted in favor for setting up a group meeting with all of our State Legislators (separately). It was proposed that we should approach the legislators in an inquiring manner. We should ask questions with the intent of educating ourselves on how they feel. We will hold a mock meeting before hand. We have sent out one invitation and David will be sending out the rest ASAP. It was also proposed that we will hold similar meetings with local politicians after these meetings.

Communication: We will be working on better communicating between ourselves and the community. We need somebody with computer skills to help us.

Proposal’s:

  • We discussed the importance of created a focus for OBR. This is a common criticism on the movement as a whole and even locally. Many feel that this issue needs to be resolved so we can move forward. We all voted that we will vote at our next GA on whether the influence of money in politics will be our main focus within OBR. No matter what happens, as long as we have a quorum (5+ people) this will be voted upon! So please make sure that you attend our next GA!!! If the vote does not pass, we will create our mission statement at our following GA. This proposal will CHANGE OBR and it is very important that everyone’s voice is heard.

Important:

  • Next Monday (August 27th) at a soon to be determined time and place, two people from OWS (Occupy Wall St.) will be in town to hold a teach-in. We need to find a place for this event to be held ASAP. We do have a last resort, but any offers are welcome. Details will be worked out soon!
  • We need everybody that can make it, to attend our next GA, Saturday August 25th in the Capitol Park near the front steps (in case of rain will move within the House Chambers in the Capitol). Rain or shine, this GA will happen, and a decision will be made on our proposal. We want everyone’s voice heard!

 

Minutes Wednesday GA 8-8-12

August 8, 2012 in General Assembly, Uncategorized by Courtsnack

Facilitator: Leanne

Stack: Fini

Minutes: Courtney G

Working Group updates:

Occupy at LSU: We have the required amount of signatures needed and much of the paperwork done that is needed to start this organization. We need a constitution written and approved ASAP. We also need to contact Campus Life at LSU and find out when the Club Training begins.

OBR Strategy: Everyone needs to write up a mock proposal of where they want OBR to go from here and how. We will meet up again and go over all of these to form a cohesive and collaborative Strategy for our future.

Occupy BR: Community Outreach: We will be holding a meeting this Wednesday at 6pm (a location still needs to be decided at Saturday’s GA) on OBR’s outreach attempts. We need to decide where we need to outreach the most and how to go about doing this.

Proposal’s:

  • We discussed that now is the time to reach out to our legislator’s now that they are no longer in session. It was proposed that rather than meeting privately with our legislator’s, we (OBR) as a group should hold a public meeting with them to discuss some topics which will be determined at a later time. Due to the absence of some of our key members, we decided to take a straw vote in which all voted in approval. This proposal will be tabled until Saturday’s GA in which we will make a final decision.
  • We discussed the pro’s and con’s of changing our Wednesday GA into a time alloted towards Working Group Meetings. This was voted on and everyone in attendance voted in approval.

 

Note: We have changed our General Assemblies from a bi-weekly meeting into a once a week meeting. Wednesday will no longer be a General Assembly, but instead shall be a time for Working Groups to meet. These meetings will take place at 6pm but the locations will change. Our once a week General Assembly will still occur every Saturday at noon in front of the State Capitol. In case of inclement weather, our GA will be moved inside the State Capitol into the House Chambers.

 

 

by Chemel

Minutes Saturday GA 4-4-12

April 14, 2012 in General Assembly, Uncategorized by Chemel

  • Discussion on future GAs

Bi-weekly meetings need to have a stronger focus.

All future GAs need to have an agenda of items to discuss. This agenda should explain what will be discussed and what will be the end result of the meeting. It will inform people why it is important to attend the meeting and what they can expect to take away from the GA.

All GAs will need to have an invite sent out, as a Facebook event and an email to the mailing list at OccupyBatonRouge@gmail.com.

 

In a 9-0 vote, the GA decided that all future GAs need to have an agenda set up before the GA is to occur. This will create more productive meetings and will help target desired audiences.

 

  • Discussion on revising the Points of Unity

To Focus OBR’s goals and plans it was brought up that our PoU need to be revised and refocused. The focus is to be localized to Baton Rouge and Louisiana, and less on a national scale. This is to make OBR’s goals and events more centralized and more focused on events and actions we can influence.
At this GA no decisions were made on what is to be edited or which PoU will be changed. This is to be an on going discussion, but the GA would like to come to a decision at the end of the month of April.  This issue is in relation to the next item.

 

  • Printing of new fliers.

The recent events and rallies at the Capitol have depleted our flier inventory. Before more are printed out the GA would like to have the more focused PoU and contact information on these fliers. Specific items that want to be changed; format, changing the contact information to be seen first, and PoU last. Points of Unity organized so related items appear next to each other, to minimize confusion and create an easier flow of understanding.

 

  • Finances

The current financial report is up to date. No recent deposits or withdraws have been made. Once the new flier format has been created, new fliers will be printed and purchased.

 

  • Newsletter

Tomorrow, Sunday the 15th, a newsletter editors meeting will take place at Brian and Sophie’s place in the afternoon. The new format was presented at the GA. Brief discussions were had about the content and recent updates for this issues newsletter.

 

  • Recall update

The recall items were discussed. Current status updates were discussed. OBR would like to be more active with this action. Communications are to be made to some of the organizers of the recall to find out how OBR can be more involved.

 

  • Transit vote/CATS

There is still time to help with Transit vote. April 21 is the voting day, items that still occur: Canvassing, phone banking, outreach. Contact TogetherbatonRouge for more information. http://www.togetherbr.org/

  • Legislative Focus

A group of key bills is being formatted and will be distributed to the OBR stakeholders soon. Any key bills that are desired to have OBR focus on should be brought to the attention of the GA and/or the OBR Facebook group/page. The publication ‘The Laser’s Beam’ was discussed in terms of how the bills of interest will be discussed.

  • Salutations Taxbusters

OBR takes pride in the amount of transparency we provide in regards to our meetings and action items. We are pleased that ‘the opposition’ is worried enough to pay attention to our efforts and energies.

  • Hello Woody Jenkins

We hope the republicans aren’t too scared that citizens are paying attention to what you guys are doing and sharing it all with our communication base. Learn to Twitter, learn to Facebook, see what we are saying :D (Don’t worry, we aren’t a left wing group, the democrats in this state have to answer for their voting history as well)

  • Greetings The [Censored] editor Carl Redman

Even though OBR has a much, MUCH higher opinion of your readers’ intelligence than you do, OBR’s newsletter is making it painfully clear that we are not affiliated with you, your publication, or the Manship family.

 

Minutes 3-21-12

March 22, 2012 in General Assembly by Courtsnack

Facilitator: Jason

Stack: Kira

Minutes: Courtney G

News:

- Occupy Wall Street retook Zuccotti Park temporarily, had violent police reaction. Million Hoodie March was held in memory of Trayvon Martin.

- Occupy Austin was banned at SXSW for mic-checking George Friedman,CEO of Stratfor. Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine joined Occupy Austin in “Occupy SXSW”. The police shutdown the PA system and he used the People’s mic to continue.

-  Occupy Baton Rouge, Acadiana Progressive, Occupy Lafayette, Occupy NOLA, and Occupy the Stage met at the capitol for a statewide rally. We mic-checked in the capital twice! Cops tried to stop us from using our right to free-speech because we did not obtain a permit. It was very successful.

- OBR joined teachers on two  different days to protest Jindal’s Bills on education.

- Rallies have been held throughout Louisiana in numerous towns against Jindal’s legislation on Education.

- An LSU Student wants to make a class video regarding complete streets, anybody interested in participating?

Announcements:

  1. Occupy the Bus (Transit):
  • we will be canvassing this Saturday with Together Baton Rouge at 9;30 am for the upcoming vote to fund CATs on April 21st. The location has not been decided, check our facebook page for more info.
  • We are planning to advertise closer to the upcoming vote on April 21st.
  1. Occupy the Legislature:
  • We will create a google-doc to split up various important bills this 2012 legislative session amongst ourselves. This will make it easier for our plan to make an easily to access and understand database of the main legislation. These include but are not limited to: Complete Streets, Healthcare, Prison privatization, transit, education, intelligent design (creationism in science classes), etc.
  • Velo Louisiane is coming up soon. this could be a great opportunity for bringing up Complete Streets Bill (HB 530) By Rep. J.  Ortega. and our Complete Streets Petition. Anybody interested?
  • There are a number of organizations interested in possibly protesting the privatization of prisons. We want to make it theatrical (contact Occupy the Stage?) when this bill is brought up to legislation.
  • There is a Louisiana Hidden Budget. Our budget is approx. $8 billion, and yet we have approx. $7.2 billion in tax exemptions. (We could have approx. $15 billion in our budget!)
  1. The People’s Advocate (not affiliated in any way with The Advocate) Working Group:
  • Our lawyers are still looking over past cases
  • The deadline for submitting articles for our second issue (April) is March 30th. Anybody can contribute towards this. Send any articles or questions to occupybrnewsletter@gmail.com
  1. Occupy the Arts Working Group:
  • We are holding an art show to benefit Forward Arts Inc (a non-profit) sometime in May. We still need a venue but have a number of possible places.
  • Our next Working Group meeting will be held directly after next Wednesday’s General Assembly

Proposals:

1) Should we send Kirshner’s proposed amendment letter to other Louisiana Occupies for endorsement/suggestions as is? Passed with no opposition

2) Can we start a petition to recall Booby Jindal? Tabled for further research.

Upcoming dates/events/things to do:

  • There will be  a  Brown Bag Lunch on Retirement this Friday, we’re meeting at the Capitol Welcome Center at 11:30am
  • Festival International: April 25th-29th in Lafayette (outreach opportunity)
  • Velo Louisiane March 31st-April 1st in Baton Rouge
  • Benefit for Nathan Crowson’s daughter: This Friday, March 23rd from 6pm-10pm at Haven Gallery & Listening Room.
  • Louisiana Trans Advocates is holding a charity event show this Friday at Splash, 10pm
  • Occupy LSU needs signatures from full-time LSU Students ASAP
  • Research Recall Petitions for Louisiana
  • Anybody interested in summarizing 2012 legislative session bills, contributing articles to our newsletter, contributing art to our future art show or participating on any of our events should contact us at occupybatonrouge@gmail.com (or occupybrnewsletter@gmail.com for the newsletter).

 

 

 

by Bryan

Minutes for the General Assembly on Wednesday, 1-25-12

January 25, 2012 in General Assembly by Bryan

On January 25, 2012 Occupy Baton Rouge held our twenty-sixth General Assembly. The minutes follow:

Facilitator: Kira, Stack: Allen, Minutes: Bryan

News and Updates:

The State of the Union address was yesterday. Obama announced a federal investigation of wall street crimes. He also called on congress to put a bill making congressional insider trading illegal. Finally, he talked about taxing millionaires more, paying further lip service to the occupy movement.

SOPA and PIPA are alive again with ACTA. Make sure to read some information on it.

Mitt Romney revealed his tax documents and he paid a 13.6% tax rate over the last two years.

The one year anniversary of the Egyptian revolution finds Egyptians dissatisfied with the state of their government and calling on continued protests against the military led government.

Jindal released his education plan and it contains pretty much what you would expect: Charter schools and choices for wealthy parents while relegating the poor to stay in public schools which continue to lose funding.

On Thursday at 3 o’clock at the Shaw Center there will be a funeral for Nathan Crowson who was killed by a drunk driver while riding his bike on Perkins. Donations for his daughter are being accepted at Eagle Federal Credit Union, and a blood drive is being held for Danny Morris, a rider who was hit by the same driver, at Our Lady of the Lake Hospital. On Saturday at 9:30 we will be meeting at Jubans to ride the bus to OLOL and donate blood for Danny. More information for that event can be found on Facebook here.

The School Board has been interviewing for new superintendents.

We are setting up a meeting with the president of the Baton Rouge chapter of the NAACP.

A couple of Baton Rouge occupiers went to NOLA for their GA last night. Talk was had about a joint action for the anniversary of the BP Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill and about joining forces on the newsletter. Also, they will be holding a Solidarity Economy WG meeting on February 1st at 7:00 pm at Loyola library.

Working Groups:

Newsletter: We got an email from the Advocate saying we are infringing on their trademark. A response was sent saying that we believe our use of the title is protected as parody and while we don’t think it needs to be changed we will add a disclaimer saying that we are not connected with the Advocate. We will start now on finding cafes and stores that would be willing to allow us to leave the papers there for distribution.

Finances: We are meeting Friday morning to set up an Occupy Baton Rouge credit union account.

Spanish Town: Still working on the application.

Art Show: We got a bunch of business cards from artists to ask for participants. We are still waiting on responses from locations and working on finding other possible locations. We want everyone to start spreading the word that we will be looking for art submissions in April.

Student Outreach: We have the application to form an official organization with LSU. We just need one more student to sign on and we are good to go. After that we can have access to rooms on campus.

Occupy the Bus: Together Baton Rouge wants to set up a civic academy to teach Occupy Baton Rouge about the CATS crisis and the upcoming referendum vote to give CATS funding. We will also move toward working on creating bike lanes and sidewalks around Baton Rouge so our streets will be safer. Again, Saturday at 9:30 am at Jubans there will be a bus ride to donate blood for Danny.

Porposals:

Ward is looking for endorsements for three national actions:

1. NOW DC, March 30. (Proposal was accepted.)

2. February 4th day of action against war with Iran. (Proposal withdrawn until more information can be given. Check that information here.)

3. G8 in Chicago protests. (Proposal was accepted.)

by Bryan

Minutes for the General Assembly on Saturday, 1-21-12

January 21, 2012 in General Assembly by Bryan

On January 21, 2012 Occupy Baton Rouge held our twenty-fifth General Assembly. The minutes follow:

Leann- Facilitator
Chris- Minutes
David – Stack

News/Updates
Obama reject the keystone XL pipeline as proposed
PIPA/SOPA withdrew –Discussion on this issue and further bills
Occupy the Courts occurred yesterday and today
Occupy Portland is shutting down port-noon union labor trying to shut down 80% shipments of grain
OP has an occupier running for mayor
San D. made it to NYC last night, after kicked off from bus for being an Occupy member-bus driver fired

Occupy Vision today during OBR is occurring

Introductions

Previous Minutes
Wed-Meeting
+Occupy CATS
+Something for the Japan Fukushima nuclear power plant disaster
+Shreveport- Protest against pajama issues
+Discussed news letter

Announcements
Sophie-Anti Bullying bill
-LGBT-Request help of OBR –proposed on M12

Radio
Allen- free radio software, email
Sophie- Getting Mic
Shaun- Starting recording show
OBR Volunteer- Add link to WHRY 96.9-Chemel

CATS issue—Occupy the Bus
J.D. Created Facebook Occupy CATS page
Working group to be created today
Together BR-Agreed to teach OBR about CATS issue
–July is end of CATs-April 21st property tax vote
Kira emailed CATS to inform them they have OBR support-emailed today
Proposed EBRPL for meeting, after a Saturday
Sophie to email together BR and LAPL ideal of 2PM

$ Working Group
Tax ID obtained, just need to take printed minutes to the Credit Union
Need to state who the officers are-Campus Federal Credit Union
After GA today $Working group will meet

Newsletter
Nothing new-getting final edits, will be sent out today

Team Speak test

Allen and J.D to test it out later today

Art Group
Proceeds donated to charity
Trafficking Hope, Ocean Cleanup/Conservation (BP oil spill), youth and art (unknown contact)
Creating call to action flier-Need when/where/charity
Need to create email
Suggestions to take half for charity/OBR-Seems to cover cost at least

Spanish Town
Shaun submitted application to be in SPLL then to get into the Spanish town parade

Gen Announcement
EBRPSS- Superintendant interviews Monday 3:30P
More information coming on the where and settings, will post on FB-

NAACP Monthly Meeting coming up this Monday. It is the fourth Monday of every month at 6:00pm. Sophia has the location information.

Occupy Homes
Gain more information on the OFHs
Anthony 612-327-9453
Will post more information on the Working group page
Allen-Kira-to be added

Town Hall Meeting Questions
Is there anything about capitalism worth keeping?
What kind of system should we have?
Should economy be regulated?
Should the gov provide basic needs of its citizens?
Does change have to be gradual? Can it be sudden?
If we pursuit reform, should the first step be get money out of politics?
Are radicals and reformists at opposition?
Shaun to put it on the FB site for us to take care of individually-Over in 4 days

by Bryan

Minutes for the General Assembly on Wednesday, 1-18-12

January 18, 2012 in General Assembly by Bryan

On January 7, 2012 Occupy Baton Rouge held our twenty-fourth General Assembly. The minutes follow:

News and Updates:

SOPA blackout Day is today. OccupyBR.com is blacked out in solidarity.

The Keyston XL Pipeline was denied.

Occupy Congress started yesterday and there were more than 10,000 people in attendance.

Friday is the anniversary of the Citizen’s United decision.

Working Groups:

MLK Day: Changed to Spanishtown Parade working group.

Finance: Got a tax ID, we just need to get to the credit union.

Art Show: We contacted Southern and LSU art professors to advertise that we are looking for art. LSU said they couldn’t do it, Southern asked for more information. No response yet from Bricks and Bombs. We are going to check coffee shops, restaurants, Bricks and Bombs, Stabbed in the Art, and other places to look for a location.

Student Outreach: Officer training is on Sunday, we need three students at least. Wednesday is club orientation day at LSU.

Newsletter: The first draft is ready. We need an estimate for the cost of printing. Start thinking about articles for the next issue.

Announcements:

Someone posted on our Facebook page about a national school walkout day. We need to look further into that.

Equality LA had a conference call on the anti-bullying bill. They are looking at having a rally and lobbying day at the capitol (possibly on March 12th). They are calling their campaign Stop Bullying Louisiana.

CATS will have a vote on the proposed tax to fix their budget shortfalls on April 21st. Together Baton Rouge is holding civic academies to inform the public about the situation.

Anniversary of Fukushima is in March. We should think about a clean energy action for that day. There is a nuclear power plant in St. Francisville.

Anniversary of the BP oil spill is on 4/20. We are looking at having a day of action for that.

LA legislators are coming back soon. We need to be prepared. Perhaps we can invite other occupations from around the state to join us.

The NAACP invited us to their monthly meetings at the MLK Day celebration. They are on the 4th Monday of every month at the MLK Community Center. Check the calendar for times.

A legislator in Shreveport is trying to ban pajamas in public.

Proposals:

A proposal was made to use Occupy Baton Rouge funds to get a button maker. The proposal passed.

After the meeting was adjourned, Sister Allison and Delia from Occupy NOLA came to discuss the upcoming Bridging the Gap Discussion with the League of Women Voters.