Minutes: Courtney G
- Occupy Wall Street retook Zuccotti Park temporarily, had violent police reaction. Million Hoodie March was held in memory of Trayvon Martin.
- Occupy Austin was banned at SXSW for mic-checking George Friedman,CEO of Stratfor. Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine joined Occupy Austin in “Occupy SXSW”. The police shutdown the PA system and he used the People’s mic to continue.
- Occupy Baton Rouge, Acadiana Progressive, Occupy Lafayette, Occupy NOLA, and Occupy the Stage met at the capitol for a statewide rally. We mic-checked in the capital twice! Cops tried to stop us from using our right to free-speech because we did not obtain a permit. It was very successful.
- OBR joined teachers on two different days to protest Jindal’s Bills on education.
- Rallies have been held throughout Louisiana in numerous towns against Jindal’s legislation on Education.
- An LSU Student wants to make a class video regarding complete streets, anybody interested in participating?
- Occupy the Bus (Transit):
- we will be canvassing this Saturday with Together Baton Rouge at 9;30 am for the upcoming vote to fund CATs on April 21st. The location has not been decided, check our facebook page for more info.
- We are planning to advertise closer to the upcoming vote on April 21st.
- Occupy the Legislature:
- We will create a google-doc to split up various important bills this 2012 legislative session amongst ourselves. This will make it easier for our plan to make an easily to access and understand database of the main legislation. These include but are not limited to: Complete Streets, Healthcare, Prison privatization, transit, education, intelligent design (creationism in science classes), etc.
- Velo Louisiane is coming up soon. this could be a great opportunity for bringing up Complete Streets Bill (HB 530) By Rep. J. Ortega. and our Complete Streets Petition. Anybody interested?
- There are a number of organizations interested in possibly protesting the privatization of prisons. We want to make it theatrical (contact Occupy the Stage?) when this bill is brought up to legislation.
- There is a Louisiana Hidden Budget. Our budget is approx. $8 billion, and yet we have approx. $7.2 billion in tax exemptions. (We could have approx. $15 billion in our budget!)
- The People’s Advocate (not affiliated in any way with The Advocate) Working Group:
- Our lawyers are still looking over past cases
- The deadline for submitting articles for our second issue (April) is March 30th. Anybody can contribute towards this. Send any articles or questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Occupy the Arts Working Group:
- We are holding an art show to benefit Forward Arts Inc (a non-profit) sometime in May. We still need a venue but have a number of possible places.
- Our next Working Group meeting will be held directly after next Wednesday’s General Assembly
1) Should we send Kirshner’s proposed amendment letter to other Louisiana Occupies for endorsement/suggestions as is? Passed with no opposition
2) Can we start a petition to recall Booby Jindal? Tabled for further research.
Upcoming dates/events/things to do:
- There will be a Brown Bag Lunch on Retirement this Friday, we’re meeting at the Capitol Welcome Center at 11:30am
- Festival International: April 25th-29th in Lafayette (outreach opportunity)
- Velo Louisiane March 31st-April 1st in Baton Rouge
- Benefit for Nathan Crowson’s daughter: This Friday, March 23rd from 6pm-10pm at Haven Gallery & Listening Room.
- Louisiana Trans Advocates is holding a charity event show this Friday at Splash, 10pm
- Occupy LSU needs signatures from full-time LSU Students ASAP
- Research Recall Petitions for Louisiana
- Anybody interested in summarizing 2012 legislative session bills, contributing articles to our newsletter, contributing art to our future art show or participating on any of our events should contact us at email@example.com (or firstname.lastname@example.org for the newsletter).